Mike touches down in Berlin @ noon.
- 2:00 - flawless meeting point plan.
- Beers at cafe near hostel
- 4 hour nap.
- Dinner with Devon from Canada.
- Walk around West Berlin.
- Drinks with crazy Limeys.
- Walked Devon back to hostel.
- Final beer at cafe.
- Slept the sleep of Gods.
Woke early. Tried to eat at hostel's continental breakfast
- met our friend "Nein!"
- Had coffee & roll at Zoo station. Rode
U-Bahn to where Sunday market (so we thought). Mastered
- Visited Tiergarten market.
- Rode to Museum Island. Took pictures of Berlin
Dome. Marveled at Island Architecture.
- Pergamon Museum
--Ishtar Gate from Babylon
--reconstructed Pergamon altar.
--Market gate from Greek Miletus.
- Returned to hostel; slept four hours.
- Ate at nearby Italian restaurant.
- Had drinks at nearby pub
- Checked out jazz club.
Woke @ 10:00.
- Visited Berlin Zoo and Aquarium.
- Joined 2:30 Berlin
Walks, a 3.5 hour walking tour of the city. Met
Lea on tour.
- Rode S-Bahn to East Berlin w/Lea. Ate
dinner & had leisurely drinks at nice restaurant.
- Stopped at Irish bar (even though we said we
wouldn't go to Irish bars while in Germany), drank, talked
- Back to hostel at 2:00.
Woke at 9:00. Ate at university cafeteria across street.
- Visited the Kaiser-
Kirchee (blown-out church by Zoo Station)
- Returned to Museum Island, retraced some Berlin
Walk steps to take photographs.
- Photographed Brandenburg Gate.
- Visited the Old National Gallery.
- Back to hostel, rest.
- Had quick falafel at street side stand near
- Went to Sophia Club for Brit-Pop night and
to meet Lea.
- Partied like rockstars.
- Met Stephen and other German folks.
- Caught 5am train back to hostel.
Awoken by our friend "Nein" bangin on door.
- Crushing hangovers.
- Packed up, ate at university cafeteria.
- Bus to Airport to pick up rental car.
- Hired a Renot Kangaroo - a postal-truck-looking
- Set off on 250-mile drive to Prague.
- Drive off to miserable start. Rain -
downpours! - construction, hangovers...
- Decide to enter Dresden for a break, maybe
to spend night.
- Driving around Friday- rush- hour- Dresden
mayhem- streets, weather suddenly clears. We decide
to power through to Prague.
- Prostitutes lining Czech side of boarder.
- Czech police stop - 50DM fine for no "autobahn
- Roll into Prague just at Dark. Drive
around endlessly looking for Sir
Toby's Youth Hostel.
- Finally check in.
- Taxi into city for dinner.
- Taxi back to sleep in dormroom. Can't
sleep. Read Harry Potter until after sunrise.
- Endless tramming about the city.
- Great lunch at courtyard restaurant
- Duck, salmon, salad, beer...
- Astronomical clock, city streets...
- Cab back into city. Decent meal,
fish head and all.
- Stroll city streets past prostitutes
and sex clubs.
- Small bar, beer, absinthe shots...
- Gentlemen's club, absinthe tough to
drink on rocks.
- Sound sleep.
Woke 10. Decide to drive straight to Munich.
- Fruit, gas.
- Very pleasant drive - green, rolling
hills, little traffic.
- Roll into Munich at 4:30. Found
lodging at first stop - a nice YMCA.
- Rental car returned without hitch.
- Ate outdoors at Augustiner. Met
Dennis and DeAnn at our table.
- Strolled. One last beer.
- Back to Y before 12:00 curfew, an early
- Found new accommodations - Pension Marie-Louise
down the street.
- Joined Mike's Bike Tours for the 7-hour
- Rode cool 2000 Schwinn Beachcruisers,
visited world's largest & second- largest beer gardens.
- Finished up at Hoffbrauhouse.
- Drank till blue, danced with friends,
Japanese 40-something tourists.
- Passed out.
Woke w/crushing hangover.
- Hour spend lounging, complaining.
- Weather clears.
- Walked. Saw giant chess boards.
Search for "wasser!"
- Visited museums (free on Sundays)
- Glyptothek (ancient Rome)
- Neue Pinakothek (1700's art)
- Ate at Hackerpshore house right next
- Stroll past street performers, back
- Ran into sisters from Minneapolis and
Aday too. Couple liters.
- Sidewalk-side Lebanese spinach pie and
beers to go.
Woke feeling rested.
- Grocery stores, long lost hike to Englischer
- Hotel siesta.
- Out to recommended traditional spaetzel
- Final liters at Augustiner.
- Met Swiss kiddies.
- Last-night-of-the-trip reminiscing.
Woke at ten.
- Pack up.
- Mike took train to airport.
- Kevin took train to Florence