those who don't know, the Darwin Awards are awarded every
year to the person(s) who died (or almost died) in the dumbest
2000 nominees are:
Jose Mercury News
An unidentified man, using a shotgun like a club to break
a former girlfriend's windshield, accidentally shot himself
to death when the gun discharged, blowing a hole in his
James Burns, 34, (a mechanic) of Alamo, Mich., was killed
in March as he was trying to repair what police describe
as a farm type truck. Burns got a friend to drive the truck
on a highway while Burns hung underneath so that he could
ascertain the source of a troubling noise. Burns' clothes
caught on something, however, and the other man found Burns
wrapped in the drive shaft.
Ken Charles Barger, 47, accidentally shot himself to death
in December in Newton, N.C. Awakening to the sound of a
ringing telephone beside his bed, he reached for the phone
but grabbed instead a Smith Wesson .38 Special, which discharged
when he drew it to his ear.
Toronto Police said a lawyer demonstrating the safety of
windows in a downtown Toronto skyscraper crashed through
a pane with his shoulder and plunged 24 floors to his death.
police spokesman said Garry Hoy, 39, fell into the courtyard
of the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower early Friday evening
as he was explaining the strength of the building's windows
to visiting law students. Hoy previously has conducted demonstration
of window strength according to police reports.
Lawyers, managing partner of the firm Holden Day Wilson,
told the Toronto Sun newspaper that Hoy was "one of the
best and brightest" members of the 200-man association.
A terrible diet and room with no ventilation are being blamed
for the death of a man who was killed by his own gas. There
was no mark on his body but an autopsy showed large amounts
of methane gas in his system. His diet had consisted primarily
of beans and cabbage (and a couple of other things). It
was just the right combination of foods. It appears that
the man died in his sleep from breathing the poisonous cloud
that was hanging over his bed. Had he been outside or had
his windows been opened, it wouldn't have been fatal. But
the man was shut up in his near airtight bedroom. According
to the article, "He was a big man with a huge capacity for
creating this deadly gas." Three of the rescuers got
sick and one was hospitalized.
The News of the Weird
Michael Anderson Godwin made news of the Weird posthumously.
He had spent several years awaiting South Carolina's electric
chair on a murder conviction before having his sentence
reduced to life in prison. Whilst sitting on a metal toilet
in his cell and attempting to fix his small TV set, he bit
into a wire and was electrocuted.
NO. 7: The Indianapolis Star A cigarette lighter may
have triggered fatal explosion in Dunkirk, Indiana. A Jay
County man using a cigarette lighter to check the barrel
of a muzzle loader was killed Monday night when the weapon
discharged in his face, sheriff's investigators said. Gregory
David Pryor,19, died in his parents' rural Dunkirk home
about 11:30 PM. Investigators said Pryor was cleaning a
54-caliber muzzle loader that had not been firing properly.
He was using the lighter to look into the barrel when the
A man cleaning a bird Feeder on the balcony of his condominium
apartment in this Toronto suburb slipped and fell 23 stories
to his death. Stefan Macko, 55, was standing on a wheeled
chair when the accident occurred, said Inspector D'Arcy
Honer of the Peel regional police. "It appears the chair
moved and he went over the balcony" Honer said.
NOMINEE No. 9:
Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck
left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State
Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County deputy
Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight
Poole, 33, of Des Arc and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little
Rock are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical
Center. The accident occurred as the two men were returning
to Des Arc after a frog digging trip.
an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck headlights
malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight
fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement
fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber
bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next
to the steering wheel column.
inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate
properly and the two men proceeded on east-bound toward
the White River bridge. After traveling approximately 20
miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently
overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle.
vehicle swerved sharply to the right exiting the pavement
and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and
abrasions from the accident, but will require surgery to
repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle
and was treated and released.
God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his balls
off or we might both be dead" stated Wallis. "I've been
a trooper for ten years in this part of the world, but this
is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would
admit how this accident happened" said Snyder.
being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife, asked
how many frogs the boys had caught and did anyone get them
from the truck.